30 Facts You Probably Don’t Know About John Daly
The long anticipated 30 for 30 documentary, “Hit It Hard” airs tonight at 8pm EST on ESPN (see the trailer here). If you’re a fan of golf, you know the name John Daly and all the stories about his life. The staff here at BG has put together a list of 30 facts about “Long John” to get you amped up for the premiere:
1. His longest drive ever was measured at 440 yards during a 1993 Open Championship practice round with Jack Nicklaus
2. He was held in a North Carolina jail in 2008 for passing out at Hooters. He was not charged with any crime.
3. His career earnings on tour are $10.2 million.
4. He has earned millions more through endorsements and appearances overseas.
5. Daly is the only golfer from either Europe or the United States to win two majors but not participate in the Ryder Cup.
6. He started playing golf at the age of 5.
7. He joined the PGA Tour in 1991 and was named rookie of the year after winning The PGA Championship. It was his first major appearance and he was last alternate in the field.
8. He was in debt, but donated $30k of his winnings to a family whose father was killed by a lightning strike during the tournament.
9. Daly couldn’t cash his winnings right away so he celebrated the victory by hitting the McDonalds drive-thru.
10. He won the 1995 British Open in a playoff at St. Andrews.
11. He celebrated by filling the Claret Jug with chocolate ice cream.
12. Daly shot an 18 on the par-five sixth hole during the 1998 Bay Hill Invitational.
13. During the 2000 US Open he shot an 18 on the par five 18th hole.
14. Daly’s first country music album, titled “My Life” was released in 2002.
15. In 2010, he released his second album “I Only Know One Way”.
16. In one night, Daly once lost $1.65 million playing $5,000 slots.
17. He estimates losing roughly $50 million gambling.
18. While playing a pro am with Kid Rock, he teed up and smoked his driver off of a tall boy.
19. He drank one time mid-round during the LA Open. After playing the back nine he slammed five beers and finished the front nine four under.
20. At the age of 23 he drank a fifth of Jack every damn day.
21. He was once kicked off a British Airways flight after drunkenly harassing a flight attendant.
22. Daly won the Men’s Championship at Lake of the Woods Country Club in Fredericksburg, VA. The Men’s club didn’t allow kids to enter the tournament after that.
23. Steve Loy, his golf coach at Arkansas, demanded he lose weight. Daly then drank Jack and Diet Coke and dropped from 225 lbs to around 170 lbs.
24. He has four ex-wives and three kids from three different women.
25. He cuts his own mullet.
26. He contemplated suicide by driving his Mercedes off of a cliff, but was talked out of it by former Cowboys player Thomas Henderson
27. He has a drink named after him, made of vodka and lemonade.
28. Daly has thrown three balls and one club into Lake Michigan.
29. After winning the 2004 Buick Invitational, he earned the PGA Tour comeback player of the year.
30. Every year at The Masters he sells merchandise out of his tour bus at Hooters on Washington road.
More on John Daly from Brofessional Golfer: